Beth Serra-Loud and Tina Bascom, Co-Founders of Bare Necessities Inc.
While Beth was volunteering with family and friends at the Clinton Food Pantry a woman asked her if she knew where she could get diapers for her adorable baby girl. In an effort to find an answer for her, she discovered that there was not a diaper bank that serviced the Shoreline area. In researching further, she also discovered that 1 in 3 babies have a diaper need and SNAP (formerly Food Stamps) cannot be used to purchase diapers or toiletries. So her family and 3 other families with diverse talents and compassionate hearts formed our founding board of Bare Necessities, Inc. a 501(c)3.
Bare Necessities, Inc. was founded in November 2015 as a non-profit organization based in Clinton, CT. In December, 2015 our first distribution helped 5 families. As of May, 2017 we are helping 120 families in Clinton and we are partnering with social service organizations and food pantries along the shoreline. To date we have distributed 170,000 diapers and 300,000 wipes.
OUR MISSION AND PROGRAMS:
Bare Necessities is a non-profit organization that distributes diapers and toiletries throughout local food pantries and community service organizations. We do this in order to help the families in need –the families right in our back yard. Bare Necessities is the only recognized diaper bank on the CT shoreline.
Our mission: To provide diapers and wipes to those in need through local food pantries and community service organizations.
Our Vision: That the families in our community will be able to live in a diaper stress free environment and have access to all basic essentials.
Program: Bare Necessities works closely with social services and food pantries along the shoreline. Through these partnerships we are able to supply diapers and wipes to those families that have been identified by the agencies as having a need.
- With the help of a generous grant from the Community Foundation of Middlesex County and our dedicated and like-minded team of volunteers, we are able to help 115 families in Clinton, our founding town.
- We are currently assisting the Madison Food Pantry with their diaper mission with the help of the Madison Foundation and philanthropic private donors.
- We are excited to start a pilot program with Guilford Social Services through a grant from the Guilford Foundation and from a private donor and matching funds from Guilford Savings Bank.
Local: We are so grateful to the Clinton Community for supporting our mission of helping families.
Efficient: We are now able to buy our diapers through a White House initiative called The Community Diaper Program. This is a cooperative program between Jet.com and Cutie Diapers. The diapers are made for diaper banks and we are able to purchase the diapers at a reduced cost, enabling us to make best use of our donors funds and help the more families. To learn more about The Community Diaper Program, check out this video Jet made at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogN_65XMuj8
What We’ve Accomplished Over the Last 18 months
- Participated in Diaper Need Awareness Week (an initiative of the National Diaper Bank Network created to mobilize efforts to help make a difference in the lives of the nearly 5.3 million babies in the U.S. aged three or younger who live in poor or low-income families)
- Launched an Annual Ducky Dash Race. A total of 400 ducks were sold and launched into the Indian River. With the funds from this event we were able to purchase 18,000 diapers.
- Hosted Blues at the Barn for Babies fundraiser enabling us to diaper 19 babies for one year.
- Partnered with 11 businesses along the shoreline as drop off locations for donations of diapers and wipes.
HELP US GROW!
= 10,000 Diapers Given to Clients!
Total Diapers Distributed Since December 2015-April 2017